Thursday, April 1, 2010

Foolish Deer

Don’t worry. I’m not going to try to trick you with some April Fools type story. This is just an example of how wild animals can appear to be foolish when we interpret their behavior as though they were human. To put things in the proper perspective, you must know that I’m standing in plain sight, in a mowed field, about 200 feet from these deer. They continue to browse as though I were nowhere around.

I don’t know if the tongue sticking out means the meal was yummy or yucky. Maybe it’s just a sign to Mom that he’s eating whatever he wants and there’s nothing she can do about it.

I’ve been spotted. The deer between the trees, just left of the large cedar, is giving me a good stare and is about to run.

I can hear the doe on the right saying, “Well, where’s she going?” and the little guy next to her complaining, “Mom, she made my tail fuzz up. What’s her problem?”

She ran to the left, so maybe there’s something coming from the right. Looks clear to me.

Obviously there’s no trouble here, so it’s back to eating. I walked away and the deer never did pay me any attention. The doe and her two young from last year are regular visitors to the yard and may just recognize me as something that’s not a threat. That’s not normal wild deer behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment