Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dancing Deer - February 3, 2007

Having a constant parade of wildlife passing outside my window allows me to witness all manner of animal behavior. Whitetail Deer often enter the yard in large numbers during the winter. The more animals you have in one place, the more chances you have for interaction between those animals. Trying to show dominance and claim a place in the feeding area is a commonly seen behavior when deer crowd together around the corn pile. This scene reminds me of a Far Side cartoon where the animals decide to get up and imitate people by walking on two legs. The deer looking on have a bewildered expression that makes you think they are wondering why their friend has decided to stand erect.

NOTE: I’m away on a ten day excursion and have left the computer behind. So as not to have a ten day gap in posts, I’ve selected some of my favorite pictures from my pre-blogging days and set them up to automatically post one each day until I return. They may not be the best photo quality, but each identifies something of significance to me and to Blue Jay Barrens. I’ll continue my practice of current posts on July 27, 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, very much like a Far Side cartoon. :) Great image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought he was trying to get some birdfeed!;)

    ReplyDelete