Friday, February 3, 2012

Winter Creek

I took some time during a warm, sunny afternoon to wander down and enjoy the creek.  The creek is always at its best in late winter and early spring.  The water is perfectly clear and is a joy to watch as it splashes its way around the rocks.

We’ve had at least two winter floods with enough energy to move any rock smaller than a trash can lid, so the creek bottom has been thoroughly rearranged.  I see the creek often enough to notice the changes.  The individual rocks may be different, but the overall effect is the same.  The creek channel is just as pretty and serves exactly the same function as it always has.

A stone and gravel creek bottom is my favorite.  Not only is it an attractive visual display; hordes of neat aquatic creatures can be found here.

When I was four years old, the downspout at the corner of our house emptied into a rocky depression that looked much like this creek pool.  After each rain, I would position myself belly down beside the pool with my face almost touching the water.  Except for those created by my mind, I saw no aquatic dwellers in the pool.  My knowledge of aquatic organisms has increased through the years, but the excitement of looking at a rocky stream bottom through clear water has not diminished.

The water moves its way downstream through an alternating series of fast moving and slow moving water areas.  Each section has unique characteristics and provides for the needs of specific aquatic creatures.  To the casual observer, each transition from one zone to another provides a unique visual and auditory experience that gives importance to the creek even to those who know nothing of stream ecology.

I’ll enjoy the creek as much as possible now, since I know it will most likely be dry this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment