Thursday, April 23, 2020

Bald Eagle

Yesterday morning, I put a dead raccoon near the edge of my lawn to feed the vultures.  Within an hour there were seven Turkey Vultures taking turns at the feast.  A half hour later I saw all of the vultures in the air and wondered why they had abandoned their meal.  A quick check showed the raccoon now in the possession of a young Bald Eagle.

I routinely move road-killed animals from the road in front of the house to the field behind the house.  I think it’s a lot safer for the scavengers and it provides me some interesting viewing.  I’ve seen Turkey Vultures, Black Vultures, Red-shouldered Hawks and Red-tailed Hawks feed on the dead animals, but this is the first visit I’ve had from a Bald Eagle.  This individual was keeping a close watch on the circling Turkey Vultures.

The eagle had no trouble taking what it wanted from the carcass.

The amount of white mottling makes me think this is a two year old bird.  However, my eagle experience is minimal, so I’m basing that assumption on what I’ve read in various bird field guides.

In between feedings, the eagle spent time sitting in a large fence row Black Walnut.  I saw it visit the carcass three different times.  It stayed in the area for about six hours before moving on.

Above is a short video of the Bald Eagle feeding.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are back with another post. You have the most interesting ones of all that I look at every day. It is a red letter day when you have a new one up. I know it is a lot of work, but you must give a lot of enjoyment to those of us who read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...that is the ultimate recycling! Very exciting to bring in a young eagle.

    ReplyDelete