Friday, September 25, 2020

Little Pink Moth

I noticed a tiny pink blur floating randomly through the tall grass.  It took a couple of minutes before it finally settled atop an Orange Coneflower, Rudbeckia fulgida.  Once it was at rest, I was able to get a good look at this little pink moth.  Officially known as the Inornate Pyrausta, Pyrausta inornatalis, many people appropriately refer to this species as simply the Little Pink Moth.


This is a southern species that ranges as far north as Kentucky.  I’ve never before seen it at Blue Jay Barrens.  INaturalist shows a few scattered sightings in the southern half of Ohio.  It will be interesting to see if it becomes a permanent addition to the local fauna.


My grandmother’s house was painted the exact color of this moth.  Her house shined like a beacon among all of the others on the block.  If I had named this moth, I probably would have called it Gram’s House.

 

The short video shows the moth nectaring on the coneflower.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Little moth got a big belly full! Gram ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ziva. That moth wasn't going to stop eating, no matter how close my camera got.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you back. You always find the neatest things to put in your blog.

    ReplyDelete