The Killdeer nest failed before it really got started. Three days after I found the nest, we had a thunderstorm that produced heavy rain, strong winds and at the peak of the storm, dropped half inch hail for a full five minutes. The egg didn’t have a chance.
I was disappointed when I checked the nest the next day. I was also puzzled to find there was still only one egg. I felt sure that the nest should have received one or two more eggs in those three days. Maybe the nest was already a loss before the storm arrived.
I removed the broken egg on the off chance that the nest was still active. I’ve read that there can sometimes be a significant time lag between eggs, although the chances are slim that this nest will see any more action. It’s already been six days since the storm and I haven’t heard Killdeers calling at all during that time. This empty depression will probably remain for the rest of the summer to remind me of the opportunity that was lost.