Monday, June 22, 2009

Archeological Sites

As is common in this part of the State, I inherited a couple of old family dump sites when I purchased Blue Jay Barrens. I knew from the beginning that these dumps did not fit the image I had of what Blue Jay Barrens should be, but there were so many urgent things needing done that I didn’t have time to deal with this type of clean-up. Besides, the dumps were old and, except for the aesthetic aspect, were not causing any trouble.

I found a way to get rid of the dumps quickly, completely and without sweat. I’ve learned that the best way to change something is to redefine it. Instead of dump sites full of trash, I now identify these as archeological sites filled with historical artifacts. To make this more than a bit of verbal deception, along with the redefinition must come a change of perception. I had to begin looking at the dump sites as another thing that had to be explored and understood. Oh, I’ll eventually remove all of this stuff, but as I do it, I’ll be thinking about the lives of the people who used this land and how they brought it to the state it was in when I arrived.

These sites support a good population of native vegetation. The hazard is getting tangled in old fence wire or stepping on shards of broken glass or jagged metal.

The previous owner worked for a time in a radio and television repair shop. He brought a lot of his work home with him and some ended up here. I’ve disposed of several dozen TV picture tubes and hundreds of radio tubes.

Some more appliance parts along with automotive supplies.

The old rocking horse was put out to pasture. Looks like it was rode hard and put away broke.

Remnants of the old swing set in the foreground. Farther back you can see the remains of several units from a stacked battery of cages for raising poultry. I understand that there was a brief interest in raising pheasants a couple of generations ago.

Gas brooders used in the pheasant operation. The brooder is seen sitting upside down. When used, a small gas flame from a burner in the center of the hood would produce warmth for the young chicks. The chicks entered through the open ports located around the edge of the brooder. The rectangular framework seen sitting on top of the brooder is the frame from a bench seat out of an old pickup truck. Do you think I could sell this on E-bay?

Some general household trash. I’m particularly impressed by the glass with the 1960’s pattern.

You never know when you’ll need a barrel full of used concrete. I’m concerned that when I do clean up some of this stuff, the bare ground that will be exposed from beneath objects like this will provide a suitable seed bed for some exotic weeds. I’d rather have the trash than the weeds.

Some privycy please.

I know why this trash can ended up here. No one knew what it was supposed to be used for.

No comments:

Post a Comment