Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Good Day

It was hard to tell from the weather forecast yesterday morning just what kind of day would unfold. I was hoping to collect some seed, but the plants need to be dry for that kind of activity. A heavy frost was still firmly in place at 9:00 am, so I knew it would probably be early afternoon before things dried off enough for seed harvest. The problem was a prediction of rain showers moving through in the afternoon. By mid-afternoon, things were bright, sunny and dry. The only problem was a series of small cloud clusters that brought with them a sprinkling of rain.


My primary objective was to collect some seed from the Tall Dropseed, Sporobolus asper. It would be a difficult plant to locate if it wasn’t for the mass of curly leaves that a clump of Tall Dropseed will produce.


It takes a bit of time to harvest the Tall Dropseed seed. The flower stalk and resulting seeds are hidden within a sheath near the top of the stalk. This means that you have to open the sheath to get to the seed. I’ve tried snapping the grass stem to harvest the seeds sheath and all, but the stem doesn’t want to break easily. It’s easier and faster to just unroll the sheath and strip the seeds into a collecting bucket.


I only got hit by one small shower and that one favored me with a rainbow as it passed. I was amazed that clouds so small could even produce rain, let alone enough to produce a rainbow.


The afternoon was quite peaceful and free of the typical noises of human activities. At one point, crows began to pass high overhead. It took about two minutes for the end of the string to go past.


The crows evidently had a need to get somewhere and soon disappeared out of sight. Their passing was completely silent. Not like the locals whose mouths seem to be activated by the flapping of their wings.


The departure of the crows left me with just my collection of seeds and some beautiful weather. I would have to say it was a good day.

4 comments:

  1. How very pretty! Fall looks so crisp and clear, even though you said you had some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lois. The rain only lasted a couple of minutes, but it was enough to make me stop collecting seeds. Fortunately, I had plenty of other things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds idyllic!

    (I am happy to be able to say I had a similar day, Friday.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi James. Good days should be a regular part of the mix. My Friday made Saturday even better by comparison.

    ReplyDelete