Saturday, January 2, 2010

Property Point

The far corner of Blue Jay Barrens narrows into a long point. A walk in that direction takes you down a steep slope to a small stream. At this point, the converging property lines are so close together that I only own a small meander. It would be nice to have the property lines follow a more conventional shape, but this small portion of a neighboring watershed has provided me with some additional plants for my list.

Here’s a look straight along the property line with the Blue Jay Barrens portion being the more gnarly bit in the right center of the photo. The corner pin sits atop the hill at a point so narrow that both of my feet won’t fit between the Blue Jay Barrens lines. I usually climb the steep hill at least once a year to visit the point. Since I was just there a few months ago and I was running short on time, I chose not to go all the way to the point this trip. I don’t cross the property line to make the trip easier and I own the steepest approach to the summit, so I usually don’t go there unless I’m in a mountain climbing mood.

This is the more gentle slope on the opposite side of the creek from the point. I don’t like to get on this slope when the ground is wet and soft. I hate to slip and leave a section of steep hillside without cover. It’s amazing how much of a gash a slipping boot can make in these situations.

These twin Tuliptrees sit on top of the slope opposite the point. They are not stump sprouts, but are two individual trees growing just a couple of feet apart. They seem to have matched each other in growth rate.

About 20 years ago, just before the deer gun season, someone nailed rungs between these trees and put a deer stand about 25 feet above the ground. I thought it was a very dumb and dangerous place to put a stand. Dumb because they had the stand facing the valley which was already about 70 feet lower in elevation than the hilltop and dangerous because the stand was attached to both trees. When the wind blows, these two trees sway independently, so the tree stand would have been torn away from one and the occupant thrown out, probably to bounce down that 70 foot slope. In order to prevent such an accident, I climbed up and removed the stand and then removed all of the rungs as I came down. I’m sure the person was happy when they showed up that first morning of deer season.

2 comments:

  1. ...they may not have been happy, but at least they were safe (without even knowing!). It must be wonderful to be able to walk your own nature preserve. I've been slowly saving to be able to buy land to turn into a preserve. Wishing you all the best in the New Year. I always learn something when I visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly - I must admit that it is wonderful. I hope you are able to get your place soon.

    ReplyDelete