As part of their territorial marking activities, male deer paw and dig the soil to produce bare spots. Disturbed soil is a prime location for the germination of seed from invasive plant species. Canada Thistle, Johnson Grass, Teasel, Honeysuckle, Multiflora Rose and Autumn Olive are a few of the common invaders that would thrive in this situation. Scattered throughout this disturbed soil are several Red Cedar fruits. Even though they are unlikely to sprout unless passed through a bird’s gut, they illustrate how seeds can fall into areas like this and easily become incorporated into the loose soil. I’ve eliminated more than one invasive plant infestation that began in sites just like this.Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Deer Sign
As part of their territorial marking activities, male deer paw and dig the soil to produce bare spots. Disturbed soil is a prime location for the germination of seed from invasive plant species. Canada Thistle, Johnson Grass, Teasel, Honeysuckle, Multiflora Rose and Autumn Olive are a few of the common invaders that would thrive in this situation. Scattered throughout this disturbed soil are several Red Cedar fruits. Even though they are unlikely to sprout unless passed through a bird’s gut, they illustrate how seeds can fall into areas like this and easily become incorporated into the loose soil. I’ve eliminated more than one invasive plant infestation that began in sites just like this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As I read this, I wondered if you were talking about humans, rather than deer.
ReplyDeleteHi Katie. The difference is that I don't blame the deer for what they do.
ReplyDelete