Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Middle Field North

Things change dramatically as you move into the northern end of the middle field. If you try to wade into this mess, you’ll find an impenetrable tangle of Multiflora Rose, Japanese Honeysuckle and Blackberries.

Part of the reason for the vegetation difference is a change in topography and soil conditions. The ground becomes more level and receives flood water from the small waterway nearby. That makes for an uncommonly wet area at Blue Jay Barrens.

The other reason this is so different is because I have not done any clearing in this area. This is the last stronghold of the Multiflora Rose at Blue Jay Barrens and although I’ve worked up to the edges, I have yet to penetrate the heart of the infestation. Weather permitting; I’ll begin knocking down these roses in the next few weeks. The ground is dry enough, but I would like it to be cold enough for me to wear my heavy coat, gloves and big hat with ear flaps while I do the work. Roses don’t go down without a fight and I need all the protective gear I can manage if I’m going to get the work done without looking like I lost a battle with a tiger.

Another difficulty in dealing with this area is the number of fallen trees hidden among the roses and honeysuckle. It’s hard to cut the roses because of the downed trees and it’s just as difficult to remove the trees because of the tangled rose canes.

The canes of a large rose bush arch out in all directions. The clutter of limbs on the ground makes it difficult to push the branches out of the way in order to get close enough to cut them off at the ground. After it’s cut, I’ll have to be extra careful not to harm the native grape fern growing at the base of the rose when I spray the sprouts next spring.

The tangle begins to thin as the ground rises to the left. I’ll leave as many trees as possible as I clear this area. Box Elder, Willow and Green Ash are the most abundant trees in the wetter ground.
There are just a few small oak seedlings here. Once this one loses its leaves it’ll probably be too short to be hit by the mower.

The hillside contains larger trees and fewer invasive shrubs. Japanese Honeysuckle is still present, but it now climbs on Hazelnut instead of Multiflora Rose.

The northern most edge of the field ends in forest. The northern part of the middle field will remain a transition zone between the grassland and the forest, but it will be a transition composed of native species. At least, that’s what my plans call for.

5 comments:

  1. ...you have a lot of work ahead. You'll have to post before and after shots. Also enjoyed reading about the management of the middle south field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am loving the tour! Someone is going to be busy, busy, busy this fall! But to be working out of doors, and with a plan! Sounds like heaven to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve...Read your answer to my comment yesterday...you are a lost case if there ever was one. : }
    And now your going to take on the talons of the invasive multiflora rose ....I have been there and they don't give up without a fight and they usually win. I come out bleeding no matter what I wear.
    You need to hire the "Tin Man". Call up Dorothy and see if he is available!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lots of work ahead to get rid of those roses and the trees. I think I would be looking for heavy machinery and lots of helpers.... :\

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kelly. I’m sure there will be future posts as the work progresses.

    Well, Karen, I like to keep busy. In fact, I do 24 hours of something each day.

    Hi, grammie g. Tin Man says it’s too wet down there for him. He doesn’t want to rust. Those roses act tough, but once I get them on the run, the game is won.

    It’s funny, Lois, but I never think of it as work. It’s probably one of the most fun and relaxing things I do. That makes some people wonder how I spend the rest of my time.

    ReplyDelete